Our history

Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry (previously St Bartholomew's and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry) was formed in 1995 by a merger of St Bartholomew's Hospital Medical College and the London Hospital Medical College with Queen Mary and Westfield College, now known as Queen Mary, University of London.

England's first medical school

The Medical College at The London Hospital, England's first medical school, opened in 1785, pioneering a new kind of medical education providing teaching in theory as well as clinical skills.

A purpose-built lecture theatre was constructed at St Bartholomew's Hospital in 1791 and in 1822 the Governors approved the provision of medical education within the Hospital. Later a residential college was established, which moved to premises at Charterhouse Square in the 1930s. At The London, larger premises, still in use in the present School of Medicine and Dentistry, were built in Turner Street in 1854.

In 1900 both medical colleges became constituent colleges of the University of London in the Faculty of Medicine.

The Dental School

The Dental School opened at The London in 1911, acquiring the new Dental Institute and expanding student numbers during the 1960s. Dental education developed during the 1970s, increasing the collaboration between dentists and other professionals.

Between the Wars, students at The London needing to complete a First MB (in Biology, Chemistry and Physics) attended Queen Mary College for a year before proceeding to Second MB at The London.

Women students were first admitted to both colleges following World War II.

A close association between the two medical colleges was developed following the Royal Commission on Medical Education in 1968, and new links with the then Queen Mary College were established at the same time. In 1989 the pre-clinical teaching at the two medical colleges was merged and sited at the Basic Medical Sciences Building at Queen Mary.

Medical schools merge

In 1992, Barts, The London and the London Chest Hospital joined to form the (now) Barts and The London NHS Trust, with a full merger of the medical colleges with Queen Mary taking place three years later. Today Barts and The London is one of Britain's leading medical and dental schools with 1,600 undergraduate and 750 postgraduate students and a growing reputation for research across many disciplines.